Those were THE TOYS.
Then I graduated to Transformers and G.I. Joe and never looked back. Sure, the legos still had some use when creating bunkers for my G.I. Joe figures, but they always got destroyed in the ensuing battles and legos don't do very well in grass. When I used to mow the lawn, it wasn't unusual to see one go shooting off to the side and often my mom would find them buried in her flower beds. The wonderful creativity with legos that I had beheld as a child had been replaced in my adolescence by the ability to change a jet into a robot, explosions, and the thrill of kung-fu grip. Lego Mania was dead.
But I digress...
For some strange reason... all these years later, I felt compelled to get down on my hands and knees with no particular plan in mind but to just build something.
It was like I had slipped 25 years back into my childhood as a Lego Maniac.
Nathan kept asking me what I was doing and I kept saying, "I'm busy!"
He would try to take pieces I was reaching for and I would say, "mine!"
I dragged all of the pieces I could clutch in my hands to a corner of the room and continued my project.
I started to rock side to side whispering "legos... my precious legooos", as I worked furiously to construct a little lego metropolis.
A short time later as I lay on my stomach gazing through a condominium window at one of the always smiling lego townsfolk, I heard footsteps pounding on the floor and snapped out of my trance in time to see NATEZILLA (more lovingly known as Nathan) bounding towards me in full smash mode.
"Noooooo...", I barely had time to blurt out.
"Raaaaawr!" was the only reply.
He left just as quickly as he had come, making quick work of my little town. Cars and buildings were tossed aside and left in his wake. All that escaped his wrath was a lone tower that marked the location of where a fountain had once stood. Then everything went dark.
I'm not quite sure, but I think I'm going to lay off of the legos for a while.

No comments:
Post a Comment