Bocce: A game of Italian origin similar to lawn bowling that is played with wooden balls on a long narrow court covered with fine gravel. It was Giussepi Garibaldi, who, while unifying and nationalizing Italy, popularized the sport as it is known today. Bocce frequently lost and gained popularity throughout the ages. In 1896, during a resurgence of popularity, the first Bocce Olympiad was held in Athens, Greece. Bocce has been a part of international sports ever since.
Bocce has seen many changes throughout the ages. It has evolved from being a crude sport played with rounded rocks, or even coconuts, to the modern game with composite or metal balls. Bocce has been known under many names - lawn bowling, nine pins, skittles, pentanque, to name a few - and has seen many rule changes. The popularity of Bocce in America has been on the rise since it swept California in 1989.
Bocce has seen many changes throughout the ages. It has evolved from being a crude sport played with rounded rocks, or even coconuts, to the modern game with composite or metal balls. Bocce has been known under many names - lawn bowling, nine pins, skittles, pentanque, to name a few - and has seen many rule changes. The popularity of Bocce in America has been on the rise since it swept California in 1989.
Blah, blah, blah. The history lesson is over!
No gravel here...we play on grass at the Waller residence.
Grass that Joshua told me I needed to cut by the way, so as to improve his game (oh, really now?)
No gravel here...we play on grass at the Waller residence.
Grass that Joshua told me I needed to cut by the way, so as to improve his game (oh, really now?)
So, the boys and I pulled out my Bocce set on Saturday in the quest to
learn yet another yard game this year. I think we'll be doing a lot of yard
bowling this Summer... I forgot how fun it is.
Nathan caught on quickly and of course was quite competitive.
Joshua enjoyed it enough that he was saying the game was "awesome"
(which is rare) and Noah was actually really good himself, considering the
balls weigh a significant amount. He really liked to crash the balls into each
other more than anything else, so once he found out you try to hit the little
yellow ball with the big balls... it was easy for him to figure things out from
there. He was so into the game that he was even sitting in the chair when I
asked him to and waiting until it was his turn to play. Noah sitting still? I
know… Unheard of!!

No comments:
Post a Comment